Tuesday, August 4, 2009

27 Things

This Fish did it and it looked kinda fun since it's been awhile.

1. I love soda, much more than any normal person should. I've tried to quit drinking it at least 5 times and I'm alright until about 3-4 weeks in when I start having dreams about drinking it. Also, I know a quick way to lose weight would be to stop drinking regular soda but I HATE, HATE diet. I'm currently trying to get in the habit of diet instead of regular, it's only day one and I'm already cranky.

2. I have been considering becoming a Catholic. I think this comes from my admiration of the calmness and happiness of some devout Catholic women.

3. I recently (within the last 6 months or so) switched from being adamantly pro-choice to pro-life. I refrain from saying adamantly because I don't want to be lumped in with people who kill or attack abortion providers, which I do not agree with. This has nothing to do with #2 but instead everything to do with a startling encounter that I had which made me rethink my entire way of thinking on the subject.

4. I ate crab legs for the first time 3 summers ago. Since then it has become my single favorite meal. Add in some spiced shrimp and I could die happily.

5. I am absolutely addicted to the Food Network but have never actually cooked. My family has a long history of women being horrid in the kitchen so I assumed I was doomed. Lately, I've started cooking and to my surprise I'm actually pretty good at it. Maybe I learned through osmosis from the TV.

6. When I was younger (20 or so) I wanted to get married purely because I thought that was what you were supposed to do, not out of actual desire. Then I grew up and was completely against marrying anyone, ever because I dislike everyone after a certain amount of time of being around them. Then I met Bill and all of a sudden marriage seemed appealing. Because of this I will never think anyone who says that they honestly didn't want to get married in one relationship and then ends up married to the next person is full of bullshit ever again.

7. If left up to my own devices I would home school my children. However, Bill feels as strongly against that as I am for it so it's probably unlikely that we actually will.

8. I have now been enrolled in Weight Watchers for 12 weeks, I have lost a net total of about 4 lbs. This proves my point that I really don't eat that badly (with the exception of soda), so my weight gain is purely because my metabolism is ridiculously slow. The only thing you can do for that is work out a lot but I hate gyms. Being on the machines feels like the most anti climatic, pointless thing ever- none of the gyms around here have any fitness classes that actually work with my schedule and I don't have any friends to work out with because the ones I could really just motivate me into putting as little effort into the gym as possible.

9. I would love to run outside (our new place is right next to the GW Parkway running trail) but my allergies are awful, way worse then they were in high school when I used to run along there. Running outside makes me wheeze.

10. I hate it when people take pictures of me because I think I'm quite possibly the least photogenic person in the world. True story: when Lindsey first met me she was like wow... you look 180 degrees different then your photo I wouldn't even recognize you. I'm not quite sure how it is even possible to look that much different in photos then in real life.

11. I love long hair but I can never grow it out. I don't have the patience for it and I hate it when it's all sweaty and up against my neck. The only time post high school that I've let it get really long was when I was dating a guy who kept telling me how much he loved girls with short hair. Out of stubbornness I refused to cut it.

12. I bite my nails. It's a gross disgusting habit but I can't help it. We've tried everything including the gross tasting stuff and none of it works. This is made amusing because I'm actually pretty germaphobic and yet my subconscious sees nothing wrong with my fingers constantly being in my mouth.

13. I hate swimming in natural bodies of water. I'm okay with swimming pools, but creeks, rivers, oceans, etc. I won't get near. It's a combo of not having that much confidence in my swimming skills and the fear of snakes and sharks attacking me.

14. My greatest fear in life is fire. This was caused by reading a book (I think it was VC Andrews) that described for about 4 pages exactly what happens when one dies from fire. Before that point my greatest fear in life was having my ears cut off in my sleep because I saw a tabloid in line in the grocery store when I was probably about 4 or 5 about some people who had their ears cut off in their sleep. It's quite possible that wasn't actually what happened and it's just what my child brain remembers.

15. I tell people that I'm afraid of heights but that isn't actually true. When I'm elevated at all it makes me dizzy. Like if I'm in a mall and get near the edge where you can look down to the first floor or if I look up I get really really dizzy and feel like I'm falling. It's a vertigo issue I think, but it's easier to just say I'm afraid of heights so no one tries to get me to go near the edge of anything elevated.

16. I can't hear very well. This has been true since I was a teenager, but my mom got my hearing checked and they said it was fine. She says that it's due to my lack of attention span more than a physical problem. I think that it's because when they check your hearing they don't include background noise, add any of that and I won't be able to hear what you are saying at all if I'm not watching your lips move. This is also the reason I talk so loud. I would get it examined further but for the most part I've adapted just fine, so much so that most people don't even realize this is true. They just think that Alaina and I are kidding when we say I'm partly deaf. However, if you told me something and I have zero recollection of it later that's probably why. I don't really have that bad of a memory ;-)

17. I've just recently started to appreciate my hair color. I used to hate it and constantly tried to dye it darker because I thought that blondes had a harder time interacting with other girls and having guys take them seriously instead of assuming they are easy. I still believe that, I've just stopped caring as much.

18. I once dated a guy who would inform me of the state of his penis at any given time. I also once dated a guy who I had no idea I was dating because I never actually saw him outside of group happy hours. Those are two really great stories that tend to outdo other people's weird date stories, and never fail to make people laugh.

19. I am not in therapy but if I were I guarantee I'd be diagnosed with an anxiety disorder with OCD tendancies. I'm also overly perfectionist that used to be to the point of self destruction (in that if I couldn't do something perfectly I just wouldn't do it at all, didn't help out a lot in school), but that I've learned to deal with.

20. I will most likely go into therapy whenever Bill and I decide to have kids. I am terrified of raising them like my mother raised me because I don't know any better. I don't hate my mom, but I think she's much better with me now that I'm an adult.

21. I hate urban areas and want to move to a rural area very badly. The problem with rural areas is that there aren't a whole lot of jobs, so I'm stuck.

22. Going back to the crazy, I have panic attacks when I'm surrounded by clutter. That's why I have no "knick knacks", and am the exact opposite of a pack rat. Because of this reason I can't go into department stores on weekends because the racks are too close together and there are too many people. I always try to shop instead on weekdays.

23. My legs, arms and hands are exact replicas of my dad's. Like carbon copies. It's actually rather creepy.

24. I have constant meat eating guilt. I know why farms are evil, I know the animals I eat have awful lives and deaths... but meat is just so tasty.

25. When I was in 5th grade I went to a summer camp for science and math at UVA. I hated it there, the campus, the teachers, everything. So when it came time to apply for colleges and my mom really wanted me to go there, I purposely wrote the worst essay I could to try to not get in.

26. I wish I knew when I was 16 that you could go to a community college (and then transfer to a 4 year school) with a GED. I would have just gotten my GED and started college early because academically my high school was a complete waste of time.

27. I hate the fact that stores for adult women carry booty shorts. The vast majority of women who would set foot in the store in the first place should really not be wearing them. Honestly, I don't know why anyone over the age of 22 would ever want to. I also hate it when parents put their little girls in bikinis but that's a whole seperate issue.

1 comments:

BU said...

Coke Zero is the only diety soda I can drink at all -- the aftertaste of everything else is horrid.

Post a Comment