Monday, August 24, 2009

8.24.09

(Latest Pet Peeve list)

I really try to not get aggravated with people or situations because I generally feel that it's usually a waste of time and energy. Especially if they are largely (or fully) unchangeable. With that said, however... these are my latest annoyances.

1) Charity drives at work.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against charity... or drives. However, I think that in this area there is a strong division between those who go to church and those who do not. Those who do not think it's a good idea to organize drives through our office building for Back to School supplies, Christmas angels, etc. Those who go to church realize that we have the exact same drives through our churches, a place we'd naturally be inclined to participate. Asking people to do the same drives twice (and in tandem to boot) is silly and uneffective. I think work places should stick to more general things (that are a pain to have to drop off yourself) like canned food or clothing donations. It's not just my opinion that they are uneffective, the amount of panicked emails I get because they aren't getting enough participation show me that I am correct. Interestingly enough, they never have issues getting people involved when it's for a person at our company who needs help or for the canned food or clothing donation drives. Ahem.

2) My mother's incapability to listen.
This is not due to any medical reason, it's because she has always lacked the ability to pay attention to only one thing at a time. If you call to talk to her, she's most likely doing 5 other things at the same time. This wouldn't be a problem if she were an effective multitasker but she is not; what ends up happening is that you have to tell her the same thing at least 3 times before it occurs... and then she most likely will still call saying "I forget... was it Tuesday or Wed?"

3) My group of friends
Don't get me wrong, I love them. I love spending time with them, and they are wonderful people. However, I think maybe due to the fact that we all are/will pair up late in life we have gotten into the habit of everything being "girls only." It's driving me nuts. I think it's fun to do stuff that's girls only once in awhile, but with everyone's busy schedules most of us don't really get to go out all that often so if I do have a free night to go out to dinner in a place I haven't gone before I'd appreciate being able to bring Bill instead of leaving him home to eat leftover pizza. However, if I told them this I would guarantee I'd get a perplexed look of why can't he just stay home? what's the big deal? Well yes, he CAN but see I like him and I like spending time with him. And I like spending time with you. Why can't we mesh those together more often without feeling like I'm committing some cardinal sin against femalehood?

0 comments:

Post a Comment