Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Golden Globes 2010 nominees:

As far as I can tell, the only people out there who review movies/tv shows or give reviews tend to be what I have dubbed entertainment snobs. You know the types- think that certain movies and tv shows are perfect and have all these deeper meanings and how dare people disagree with them because they are always right. Now, I watch some of these things that they dub having deeper meanings and it has struck
me on more than one occassion that some of these things are trying too hard to be deep. Or off the wall. And they tend to throw in violence and overt sex just because. It doesn't add anything to the plot, I think sometimes it's just to shock you into thinking that it was wonderful.

I don't like watching movies with violence, over-the-top sex scenes, or ones that are too depressing (as in start out sad, continue being sad, end sad) so I never really like anything that I am told to like. I don't think I'm alone out there.

I generally pay absolutely no attention to awards shows because of many of the reasons above. For example, I don't care if Slumdog Millionare won gazillion awards including Best Picture because I will never, ever see it. Why? Because of the torture scene in which they pull off someone's fingernails.

After getting a lecture from an "entertainment snob" (and constant movie goer) about why this list of nominees sucks, Julie & Julia had absolutely no leg to stand on in anyone getting an award for it, and why Sandra Bullock should never get an award for anything, I felt that I needed to give my opinion. Which is that the vast majority of movies released nowadays are horrid, none of them deserve awards and Hollywood has lost all creativity which is why I rarely go to the movies anymore. I was challenged to watch every single movie and then form my opinion. I decided to take it one step further and actually review all of the nominees thinking that there are people out there like me, who like and dislike movies similar to the ones I like.

I am giving myself a deadline of before the awards show (January 17, 2010) but we'll see if I make it.

Here's the full list (strike outs are the few I've already seen):
“Avatar”
“The Hurt Locker”
“Inglorious Basterds”
“Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire”
“Up in the Air”
“The Young Victoria”
“The Blind Side”
“The Last Station”
“An Education”
“Crazy Heart”
“Up in the Air”
“A Single Man”
“Invictus”
“Brothers”
“500 Days of Summer”
“The Hangover”
“It’s Complicated”
“Julie & Julia”
“Nine”
“The Proposal”
“Duplicity”
“The Informant!”
“Sherlock Holmes”
“A Serious Man”
“A Single Man”
“The Lovely Bones”
“The Messenger”
“Coraline”
“The Fantastic Mr. Fox”
“Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs”
“The Princess and the Frog”
“Up”
“Barria”
“Broken Embraces”
“A Prophet”
“The White Ribbon”
“The Maid”
“District 9"
“Where the Wild Things Are”

0 comments:

Post a Comment