Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Ten on Tuesday, Vol. 6



1. Cost aside, if you could go (back) to college for anything besides what you currently “do,” what would you study?
My current job has absolutely nothing with what I studied in college, and the same is true for pretty much everyone I know. If I had to go back and tell myself something at 18 it would be that unless you have a huge passion for something and know you are going to get a doctorate in it or something, go with a generic major that's relatively easy so you have better grades/more options later. My undergrad was in Biology (minor in Chemistry), you can imagine how easy that was.

If this is a fun question; I think I'd go back for sociology or nursing. I think I'd be a really good social worker, even though they barely make any money; and I think nursing would be interesting because if you worked in a hospital you'd get to have different stuff happen all the time. I dislike monotony. Plus they need nurses everywhere, so you could move anywhere you wanted.

2. What do you do for a living? Do you love it/hate it?
I work with finances and contracts. The job is okay, I would be 100% happy with it if it were a telecommuting position and I could either work from home here and go in for meetings once a week or from a smaller town area and just come in every month/few months for meetings. I know a lot of people say that, but honestly if the upper management weren't so stubborn my job is 100% telecommuting compatible- so it's not just wishful thinking. Most days, not one person talks to me in the office because everything is done online and on the phone.

Since we can't actually ever afford to buy a house in this area, nor have kids, it would be extremely helpful to be able to move southward in the state where the cost of living is 400% lower.

3. What is your favorite Christmas ornament? If you don’t celebrate Christmas, what is your favorite holiday tradition?
I just bought these small glittery birds that I like a lot. I don't really have ornaments (yet) with any sentimental attachment, it's all just random stuff we've received/bought just to have stuff to put on the tree. Bill's mom gave us an ornament of a fat snowman police officer that makes me giggle.

4. Name something you could literally do without for the rest of your life.
Spam. Why does it exist? Seriously, does anyone in the world eat it? If you need low cost protein, beans are a lot less disgusting.

5. If you were going to have any kind of “cosmetic procedure,” what would it be?
Probably liposuction because it seems like a quicker fix then Weight Watchers ;-) I'd never do it though.

6. Do you have any “collections”? (comic books, shoes, etc.)
No. I hate clutter which precludes collecting anything. I do have a ton of books though, if that counts. So many that we've run out of space and I can't buy anymore until we have a bigger house.

7. At what age did you get your first cell phone?
21. I bought it myself in college when they were first becoming popular, mostly because I had a key to open the Dairy Queen I worked at and lived really close to it so a lot of times people would call me because they couldn't open/lock up.

8. What is currently in your purse (or pocket or backpack if you’re a guy)?
Cell phone in carrying case hanging on the side
copy of The Shack
Makeup bag (I put it on at stoplights on the way to work, yes- I am that woman)
One pair of light blue gloves
Wallet
Daily Devotional Guide (Nov/Dec)
Weight Watchers pocket guide
Planner
2 pens
1 pencil
Checkbook
Sudafed tablets
Advil
Excedrin Migraine
1 case Maxalt
Hairbush
Sunglasses
1 airplane packet of salted peanuts

9. Are you a neat-freak or a slob ? *this applies to house, office, car, etc.
Both. Yeah, it makes no sense to anyone else either. My office is completely OCD down to everything lined up evenly on my desk. Home goes from neat to chaotic depending on how busy and motivated I am; and how much overtime Bill had to work. My car is disgusting. I'm not quite sure why that is, but there's a running joke that once something goes to the backseat it's lost forever. I have stuff on the floor, on the seats, cans, etc. I only clean it out when making a road trip or when something starts to smell and I can't find it.

10. What kind of parent do you think you will be? If you’re already a parent, what is your style?
I really have no idea. I think I'll be pretty strict but I also know that it's important for kids to earn respect and independence. I also won't make mole hills into mountains. Focus on what's important and will effect them negatively down the line, let go of all the things that aren't so important.

Read more here.

2 comments:

rootsandrings said...

Spam - I thought you meant like email and blog spam! I could live without both kinds of spam!!

Angela said...

Haha! Spam is disgusting. I don't understand the need for it.

Post a Comment