Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Ten on Tuesday, Vol. 8



1. Are there any movies that inspire you to bake/cook?
I just watched Julie & Julia right before Christmas and it was wonderful. Really gives you the impression that with practice anyone can become a good cook. Overall though, I find the Food Network way more inspiring then any particular movie.

2. What’s your favorite food blog and why?
I don't actually read food blogs. I have very few sources for trusted recipes and quite frankly I don't trust most blogs. It irks me to waste food when the recipe does not turn out to be the "greatest" anything. I keep hearing raves about the Pioneer woman cooks so maybe I'll check it out.

3. Who’s your favorite celebrity chef?
My favorite recipes are Ina Garten's (Barefoot Contessa), but my favorite chef to watch is Morimoto. He's just so good at what he does. The first tv chef I ever watched was Nigella Lawson because my roommate thought she was pretty and watched her show. My favorite celebrity but is rarely on tv chef is Rick Bayless. I'd give my right arm to eat his food. More specifically his black mole (even though it has pumpkin seeds in it, or in Spanish, pepitas and I'm allergic to them). Hear that Rick? I will deal with my lips swelling up for your mole, that's how awesome you are.

4. What’s your favorite kitchen tool?
I have a feeling it will be my food processor once I figure out how to work it. I can't actually get it set up right, because I'm that smart. In my defense it was a wedding shower gift (my shower was the week before the wedding so my mother in law could be there), then the wedding happened, then the honeymoon and then it was the holidays so we haven't had a lot of downtime for me to play with it.

5. When it comes to cooking/baking, what’s your specialty?
Definitely not baking, I am really horrible at baking but our current oven is awful so I am not too inclined to practice too much. I'm so new at cooking my specialty is "making it edible."

6. When in the kitchen, do you wear an apron, if so, any cute ones you’d like to share?
Usually not, though that's caused quite a few food splatters that are a bitch to get out. when I remember to put it on, I have an apron with stars and moons all over it. I think I got another one with flowers on it for a wedding present.

7. Is there anything that intimidates you when it comes to baking/cooking? (ex. Pie crust, yeast breads, sauces, etc…)
I have a lot of stuff I have never even tried; however the bane of my existence are green beans. For some strange reason, I can never ever get my green beans to taste right. I always under cook or overcook them, or they taste almost soapy or something.

8. What’s the weirdest gadget in your kitchen?
A cheese grater that my non cooking self thought would suffice at the time I bought it. It actually does not work for doing more than one swipe of cheese or you will end up cutting yourself, or tossing the cheese across the kitchen. It's quite possibly the worst cheese grater of all time. I do use one of the grating attachments as a zester though, so it came in handy for something I suppose.

9. What’s your go-to music for cooking/baking?
I never listen to music because I constantly have the tv on. I'm trying to remedy that this year.

10. After several failures, what do you do to motivate yourself to get back in the kitchen to try again?
I will conquer the green bean, and I want to start making bread.
Edit: Whoops misread the question. I am so stubborn that failing at things just makes me more determined to perfect it. I don't need more motivation then that.

Read more here.

7 comments:

Chelsea said...

2. Definitely check out PW.
3. I love watching Morimoto too! He's incredible.
4. It took me about 30 minutes to get my food processor to work the first time I used it!!
5. My oven is terrible too. I have to keep a thermometer in there and check it ALL the time. DUMB.
6. Did you enter my giveaway??
7. / 10. Steamed green beans with carmelized onions is our go-to veggie. We have it atleast one a week.

Faith said...

Hey! Thanks for leaving a comment for me! My favorite CCC recipe is actually from Smitten Kitchen:
http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/03/crispy-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies/
The trick with these is to actually wait until it gets creamy. It takes awhile (another reason I love my new KitchenAide mixer). I read the comments today and several people recommended freezing the batter first. I'll have to give that a try. Mine have never looked like Smitten's but they taste awesome. My only trick with CCC is to get the flour right. I never use the same amount of flour since the weather can mess with stuff as can altitude. Sometimes I use less, sometimes more. I always start with less and add in until the dough is stiff, but not too stiff.

One of my friends has made a ton of SK's stuff, but she's an awesome cook and has much more patience than I do. The easier the recipe the better for me!

I too love MVF. He came to San Antonio and for my upcoming bday I'm making everyone go and eat the giant pizza with me.

It always takes me a few minutes to figure out my food processor. I hardly ever use it so I can't remember how everything goes together properly the frist time.

jnyfritz said...

so my second answer to 10 was i HATE to admit failure, i just figured that remembering we are poor and cannot afford take out everynight was just truer!! Great answers!
oh and yes i would find a food processor very exotic, we have the kitchen the size of a bathroom so counter space is a premium which is why the kitchen aid mixer i got for christmas last year is still in storage...someday!!

Rebecca said...

my food processor is also smarter than me! it's one of those small ones, i don't know 3 or 4 cups, but I can never put it together right. it's so frustrating, that I rarely use it. I should make that one of my goals for this year, to conquer my food processor!

Angela said...

We just bought a food processor and I adore it. Seriously. I also like that after chop stuff up, I can add other ingredients and it does all the mixing for me!

talklesssaymore said...

I feel so much better that other people are having some struggles with their food processors- makes me feel less stupid.

oceansandmountains said...

my speciality is 'making it edible' too! or I guess really, it's more my goal than my speciality, since I don't always acheive it!

Post a Comment