Friday, April 9, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday, Vol. 15


1. A study making waves this week is one that states that not breastfeeding is costing our country $13 billion a year.  My issue with studies like this is that it's one thing to throw out all of these studies and quite another to actually do what needs to be done to support women following advice.  In the area that I live in, it would be nearly impossible to live on only one salary a year (unless that one spouse makes well into 6 figures) so both people need to work.  Then unless you work for a wonderful company in this workaholic region, they don't even like you to take sick leave much less maternity leave, and federal law only forces them to provide 6-8 weeks.  If we are supposed to breastfeed for 6 months, I don't know about you but the idea of spending my days at work pumping with what I've heard is a greatly, greatly uncomfortable breast pump in the bathroom for another 4 months is just not at all appealing, nor will it happen.  I flat out refuse to feel like a dairy cow when formula works just fine as a viable alternative. 

I guess there's a new law about providing private rooms at companies, but that still doesn't work for me.  My company bills by the hour, if I take time out in my day multiple times to pump I can't charge those hours meaning I would have to work extra time to make up for it.  Then my baby would be in day care even longer than the 9 hours it already would be.  If this country wants women to breastfeed for 6 months, it's simple- give us 6 months of maternity leave.  Canada gives their new mothers a year so surely we could do half.

2. There are a lot of reasons we will not be having babies anytime soon and this is just one of them.  Another one; Do you know how much full time day care costs in our area for infants?  On average $1400-$1800 a month.  Heaven forbid you have twins since you only get 10% off the second baby.  Like I said, living on one salary is not an option, the second salary will be cut in half by only one baby in daycare, plus the idea of leaving a 12 week old in day care for 9-10 hours a day just terrifies me.  It seems so wrong.  Also, I have a hard enough time taking off one day without panicked calls so I can't even imagine what my life would be like if I took off 12 weeks.  To put it into perspective for you, I was off work the week before my wedding and I was in the office building around midnight many of those nights doing work so I can tell you exactly how maternity leave would go and it involves me unshowered, exhuasted and stressed out in my office building furiously doing work at 11pm two days after giving birth.  *shudder*

Quite frankly it amazes me that anyone in the DC area has kids at all (and doesn't live an hour+ commute away, which is not an option.)

3. The first meeting of the dinner club that I will be attending is this Sunday.  The theme is Indian, so I am going to attempt to make Vegetarian Korma.  Bill is not a fan of curry nor Indian food so I'm sure he'll love the perma curry smell our house will have for a few days but hopefully it will be worth it in the form of yummy food.

4. Is anyone else really sick of being smacked in the face with Tiger Woods' and Jesse James' inability to keep it in their pants everytime they open a newspaper or other news source?  I don't understand how this is news.  Who is it helping by making it so public anyway?  Not their children, not their wronged spouses, not anyone who has to read about it.  As far as I can tell it just makes the mistresses money, which yay! let's reward women for sleeping with married men! and gives the men more publicity for being scum.  That's a great idea!  In summary: it hurts the people who matter, it helps the people who are crummy.

5. Our bedroom (aka the dumping ground for all the mess in the house) has now been clean for a whole week! You can see floor!  You can walk around without tripping!  Next up to fix: the office (aka the black hole of junk).

6.  Has anyone seen the Runaways?  It's getting decent reviews and I think it looks good but I am automatically wary of seeing anything with any of those Twilight people in it because I find them extremely annoying.

7.  I've run out of things to say, it's a bit sad that I can't even think of 7 things to talk about.  Next week I'll be back to regular posting, so tune in :-)  Have a wonderful weekend!

1 comments:

Milehimama said...

Hi there! Thanks for commenting on my blog.

I don't think it's as simple as 6 months maternity leave. In the US, maternity leave is unpaid. And it's unfair, IMO, to make businesses keep a position open for 6 months; they have to hire a temp to fill in on maternity leave because by law the position must be kept at the same level and same pay during maternity leave (the mom can't be replaced). That's also unfair to the temp worker.

I definitely think we can be doing better to support mothers, fathers, and children, though.

Post a Comment