Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ten on Tuesday, Vol. 17

1. What two cities should be moved closer together?
Corpus Christi area of TX and Washington DC. Bill really misses his parents, and I really think we’d both love having them around more.

2. What was the first plane ride you took?
DC to Bangkok, Thailand. I was the minimum age to be cleared for air travel, a couple months I think. Until Pan Am airlines folded, I held the record for the youngest international air passenger that ever flew on their airline. Maybe even the youngest passenger period.

3. What continent would you most like to visit?
Australia.

4. What’s your favorite place to window-shop?
Georgetown. No particular store, just all of them; especially on a nice, not too hot, sunny day.

5. What’s the least fun you’ve ever had at a place specifically tailored for fun?
I can’t think of any place specific, but when I was a kid most of our vacation locations would fit into this. Beach, Disney World, etc. My mom was the type to plan out each day so much that you felt like you had to work to be on vacation. No sleeping in, no down time. Just go, go, go! I would always be more tired AFTER vacation then before.

6. You’re stuck on an island with plenty of food, a companion, and a relatively stress-free lifestyle. What do you say when the rescue ship comes?
I’d hide. That sounds like heaven. I could exist quite happily without tv or internet.

7. Which day of the week do you look forward to most?
Friday. There is always the sense of possibility and promise with Fridays, the work week is coming to an end (and I try to schedule my work and meetings so my Friday afternoons are quiet) the weekend is coming and you don’t have to go to bed early.

8. What’s your favorite place to enjoy the great outdoors?
The beach. I love everything about the beach. The lifestyle, the water, the noises, the people… I wish we could live at the beach, putting up with hurricanes and high insurance rates would be completely worth it.

9. What’s on your “to do” list this summer?
More BBQs, being outdoors more, making time to relax. Unfortunately every 5 years is a really busy time at work so no vacation for me this year (I have leave restriction starting May 1 through the end of September), so I’ll just have to make the most out of what I can control.

I also want to buy a hammock for our back yard this year. I meant to do it last summer but never got around to it.

10. Which natural disaster freaks you out the most?
Earthquakes. For one year Iin high school I lived in an area where the main street of the town (where the high school was located) was literally on a fault line so in the place of fire drills we had earthquake drills. They would have an emergency bell ring and then actually play “earthquake noises” over the loud speaker. We’d have to go underneath desks and protect our heads or find doorframes to stand in and wait for the noises to stop. Scared me to death. To this day I refuse to hang anything above beds (even though we are no where near earthquake zones now) because of the constant warnings that an earthquake striking at night could cause the stuff to fall on your head and possibly kill you.

Also, if the school was on the fault line itself, I seriously doubt desks and doorframes would have helped us.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

I'm with you on the beach thing. Life is happier on the beach!

Angela said...

I think that's a pretty awesome title to hold: Youngest Air Passenger....Ever!

Courtney said...

I enjoyed Georgetown the time that I went there a few years ago. Quite expensive though...

Post a Comment