Wednesday, June 2, 2010

In lieu of a post...

because that would involve original thought and writing, I give you links.

  • I am usually not a fan of home design websites and homes they showcase because never, in a million years could I or would I live in anything that is all white, has uncomfortable furniture, looks like a child got let loose in Willy Wonka's factory to decorate... or ate too much and then threw up all over the walls, has no actual ceilings to rooms but the top of the "airy" space is covered in pipes, nor will I ever pay $5000 for an armchair.  However, this place I like, especially the red hallway featuring a polka dot runner with the black and white checkered floor and the green office that my dreams were made of!  Yay for not being cookie cutter!  I do have to systematically ignore the picture of the rusty chair next to their bed because rust is not cute.  Rust looks like dirt.  I dislike dirt.
  • Have you ever seen someone catch a heavy duty, battery back up surge protector on fire?  Now you have!   I have no idea how I did it either, according to IT they've never seen anything like it before.
  • This is an interesting read, but what I fail to understand is when and why it became so taboo to just utter the thing we are all thinking- why not just counsel the girls NOT to get into sexual relationships at such a young age?  It's all well and good to teach them about healthy relationships and what to do in case of abuse but I fail to see how a teenager in middle or high school being in a time consuming, committed relationship with one person ever leads to anything good.  Not only will they have sex before they are ready but it also takes focus off of what should be important at that age.  Learning, friends, extra curriculars and figuring out who YOU are as a person, an individual without defining yourself based on someone else.  There's just better stuff to do, places to go, people to see.  This statement is why my kids will hate me at least one time during their adolescence. 
  • An in-depth look at the spate of murders in SE DC last summer (Part II will be out tomorrow).  For those of you who don't live in the area, certain areas of DC are akin to war zones- one in particular called Trinidad where you aren't even allowed to drive in anymore without proof that you live there.  Police have no clue what to do about it and as this in-depth story reveals there is a reason for that.  There is no logic, no thought process behind what's going on.  In this case it was a cheap, simple bracelet that set off a string of murders, retribution, more murders, etc in a neighborhood where no one "snitches" in fear of retribution and no one seems to bat an eye at someone storing an AK-47 in their house.  There has to be something we can do about this all too common form of urban violence; I can't believe our current methods are the best possible ways to go about it but I'm not sure what the answer is. 
  • So we don't end on a depressing note- a picture.  It's hard to tell which face is funnier... or if the pointy terrified cat ears popping up beat both.



0 comments:

Post a Comment