Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ten on Tuesday, It's July! edition

1. If given the opportunity, would you choose a mediocre job that paid well or your dream job that paid poorly?
I've already made this choice a few times, and always picked the job that paid the best. In the area I live in, you don't really have a choice in the matter especially if you don't have the option of your parents helping you out or living with them for your first few years out of college.

In the long run, I plan to stay in the best paying job possible to pay back car loans, student loans and bulk up a savings account so that when we have kids I can go part time or stay at home.  With that said, if I could find a job that was telecommuting I would take a bit of a pay cut because the flexibility that would give me would be worth it (especially if it were 100% telecommuting so I could work out of state and still effectively do my job.)

2. What is your favorite thing about the 4th of July? (For the foreigners: What is your impression of the 4th of July?) Picnics/BBQs. I love little more than having people over and sitting on the deck.

3. What’s the most random fact you know about American history?
The most random fact is that I know shockingly little about American history.  I know the names of the wars we were in, I know the basic structure of facts regarding "discovery" of the Americas and through the establishment of the US.  I do not know specific dates other then 1776.  I have very little knowledge about the civil war although I live in an area where I'm surrounded by battlefields.  I know really nothing about the people involved even though my mom literally lives down the street from many buildings where George Washington and the like ate, went to church, lived, peed, you name it.

I just wasn't interested in history.  I had other things to care about like biology and math.

4. What is the best fireworks display you’ve ever seen?
I live in DC. I have seen the national fireworks more times then I can count. Most places don't have anywhere near the budget to surpass those.

5. Who taught you how to put on makeup?
My friend Lindsey and the MAC store. I didn't know anything about putting on makeup until about 3 years ago. True story. I look at pictures from before that when I would attempt to do my makeup for special occasions and I shudder. It was that bad.

My mother's method to girl stuff was don't start it and it's easier. That's what she said about everything from makeup to shaving my legs. I think her overall plan was to make me an unattractive hairy she-beast so that I was ostracized and no one would find me attractive. Thus, I would have no choice but to only concentrate on school. 
Related side note: I also had to buy tampons secretly and hide them in my closet because my mother thought they were of the devil.  I did a sport where I wore a spandex unitard and sat in a boat in the middle of water for hours upon hours in the day.  You see the problem.

6. Have you ever gone through a financial planning process? Tell us about it.
No. I wish I had right after I got out of college though. So many shoes bought instead of money saved. What a waste.  We have a whole new set of money issues now, mostly stemming from the fact that we have our money in two separate accounts but I tend to pay all the bills because I'm the one with more time.  So every so often Bill ends up with ridiculous amounts of money in his checking account while I'm counting change to buy a soda at work.  Also, this makes setting a budget for the "household" impossible.  I realize that this is not the best method.

7. What was your favorite outfit as a kid? Bonus points for pictures.
The one that sticks in my head was that in 6th grade I had this oversize sweatshirt with graphic prints that I wore with black and white houndstooth leggings. I thought I was the bomb. (Hey! It was the late 80s/early 90s that's what we wore back then.) I also had a huge Steve Erkel head tshirt that I loved to death in 4th grade I think. So embarrassing.

8. Do you prefer a beach, lake, swimming pool, or no water?
To go into the water? Swimming pool. I don't go into natural bodies of water- between sea creatures and fears of undercurrents it's my worst nightmare. I prefer the beach overall though even if all I do is stick my feet in.

9. Do you recycle? If not, why?
Half heartedly. We are good about soda bottles and beer bottles but not so good about making sure everything that could be recycled is. Part of that is laziness since I think it's stupid to spend the time washing out bottles/cans and removing the labels. Why have they not thought of some automated system to take care of that for us?

10. What are your thoughts and feelings about the Twilight Saga?
This sums it up perfectly:
Twilight rant starts now- look away if you are into Twilight and are sensitive.
You have been warned.


Longer version: It's a bunch of poorly written books by a women with subpar writing skills who got insanely lucky with some ridiculous version of vampires where they don't have sex until marriage and sparkle in the sunlight.  This stupid version is completely explained by the fact that she's mormon.  The fact that she wrote all the books in 3 months or something like that shows how craptastic her writing skills really are (while some of you might say no that shows how skilled she is! No, it doesn't, because no one can write that much in 3 months if it has any level of quality.  I guarantee she just threw some words down on paper and it was completely fixed by her editor's assistant who essentially did all the heavy lifting where writing it was concerned except for the concept.)  I might understand why 11 year old girls like these books because, lets face it, 11 year old girls like any over romanticized story where cute boys obsess over normal girls "just like them" but the fact that grown adults actually read and go to these movies (and like them!) baffles me.

The only thing worse then the existence of these stupid books is the movies and the fact that they made that Robert guy and the chick who plays Bella famous.  Everytime I see them I wish they would go away.  The Robert guy needs to take a shower, badly, and that girl does nothing except for scowl and give barely literate interviews where she likens being a celebrity to being raped.  *Buzz* Incorrect.  Also, who gives two sh*ts if they are dating or not?  I'd like to go to the supermarket and not be assaulted by pictures of them.  I'd love to be able to read the gossip columns I used to like before they were inundated by "are they or aren't they" posts.  I'd also love to go to movies anytime around when one of these are released and not be subjected to Twitards taking pictures of each other kissing the Edward poster/cutout. 

My hatred of this franchise actually extends to my being unwilling to see any other movie that either of them are in out of some small hope that their movies will make no money and they'll go away.  Even when otherwise the movies look good (see also: Runaways).

Second summary: I.Hate.Twilight.  It is an insult to vampires... and werewolves, literacy and the intelligence of the human race.

Aren't you glad you asked?

1 comments:

Chelsea said...

Wow. That is quite the rant!

I don't care a whole lot about history either, I wish I did. My husband is into all that and doesn't forget random facts.

Post a Comment