Friday, July 16, 2010

7 Quick Takes

1. Yesterday while in the grocery store line I saw a tabloid with the headline "FINALLY, a baby for Jessica!" (referring to Jessica Simpson) According to IMDB, she was born July 10, 1980 making her 3 months younger then me. Basically the tabloid called me an old barren maid. Thanks tabloid.

2. This was after I had lunch with my mother on Wed and at the end of lunch she said, "I was hoping you asked me to go to lunch to tell me that you were pregnant." Ouch. One two old barren maid punch.

3. Alaina and I are doing a last minute trip to a resort in Maryland next week. We usually go to the beach but I can't take off a full week this year due to work reasons and when going for just a couple days, we get more lying in the sun time if we go somewhere closer. Thus, we are only making it to the Bay, not the ocean.

4. Take a look and get jealous. We are getting a water view room which should be gorgeous.  See, being an old barren maid comes in handy sometimes in that you are old enough to have a good job to pay for nice hotels, you can take last minute trips on a whim and you have disposable income. Booyah!  Take that tabloid and mother!

5. I got mad at Lizzy this morning because I thought she had randomly decided that breakfast time was at 5am.  She kept meowing and headbutting me, then jumping up and off the bed and meowing some more.  I locked her out of the bedroom.  Now I feel bad, because apparently it was the exact time that we had an earthquake this morning.  Too small for us to consciously feel but I bet she did and that's what woke her up.
 
Awhile back, I just happened to work in an office that had one of those huge file rooms just full of file cabinets.  I was in that room when we got another one of this area's small earthquakes but that time I noticed because it made all the file cabinets rattle against each other.
 
6. When I was a teenager, I lived literally on top of a fault line up in the Rocky Mountains.  The high school was also on the fault line and we had to do earthquake drills in addition to fire drills.  They were ridiculous.  An alarm would sound and then they'd play earthquake noises over the loudspeaker while we covered our heads and climbed under our desks or stood in door frames. 
 
The one thing I did take away from that time was to never, ever hang anything over your bed.  If you do and an earthquake hits in the middle of the night, it will likely fall off the wall and land on you potentially knocking you unconscious or worse depending on the weight of the item.  I cringe every time I see bedrooms with large, heavy frames hung right over people's heads.  I'm sure this tidbit was just mentioned as a side note in a much longer lecture and that's the only thing I can remember.  Just another manifestation of my neuroses.
 
7. I ran/walked 5.5 km yesterday.  It has been hovering near 100 degrees here since June.  I don't think I have ever sweat that much in my life.  I think I also pulled a groin muscle.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm sure you'll have a blast! I live on the bay and it's just fabulous!

Angela said...

Oooh! Looks lovely. Have fun :)

Kim said...

Ashley- You do? I'm jealous. I would love to live on the bay.

Angela- We plan to. I hope you have a great weekend!

Jill said...

What is with the pregnancy-pushers?! (that is my new name for them) I hate those people!!!

Way to go on the running!!! I ran 2.5 miles this morning (well, walked some of it, maybe .5 m) and I was drenched. The only part of my shirt that didn't look sweaty was my bra. I know, I'm disgusting.

Post a Comment