Friday, August 6, 2010

7 Quick Takes: August 6, 2010

1) Tonight we are having a Guitar Hero World Tour night, otherwise known as our latest excuse to have a party. We make a lot of excuses to have parties.

2) We got a line of wickedly bad storms through our area yesterday. Click here for some photos via The Washington Post. The cats were so freaked out by the time I got home that they were edging around the very center of the house to get around instead of lounging in their normal by windows spots.

I was at work when the storms occurred but if the wind and rain was anywhere near what we witnessed from our office windows I'm sure they were terrified. Probably thought the house was going to blow over.

This has been a crazy year of weather for us.

3) Speaking of photos; I've started a new site "Snapshots From My Day." Please go over and check it out. The idea is that I will post pictures throughout my days; some days will get multiple posts, others only one, depending on what is going on. I'm also accepting submissions if anyone else wants to post a snapshot from their own day.

4) Alaina and I took a BodyJam class at our new gym on Wednesday night. The description of the class is "the cardio workout where you can enjoy the sensation of dance. An addictive fusion of the latest dance styles and hottest new sounds puts the emphasis as much on having fun as breaking a sweat. Funky instructors teach you to move with attitude."

Now, I'm not sure anything can teach me to "move with attitude" but it's a really fun way to burn around 600 calories in an hour.

5) We originally were going to try to go to Aquaerobics but we got there late, then we went up to the workout machine level where we got bored in 20 minutes. Then we wandered back down to see what classes were going on and ran into the BodyJam group and instructor. I'm glad we did :-) I'm also glad that it seems that this gym is good for just getting there when you get there and still being able to find SOMETHING to do. There's a ton of options!

6) I made a quick and easy corn salad/salsa last night when realizing that I was in need of a vegetable to go with my enchiladas because all my salad stuff froze in our old decrepit fridge.

In a medium saute pan heat up about 2 tbs of olive oil with 1 tb of butter (you can skip the butter if you want but mixing the oil and butter keeps down steam) over medium heat. Dice 1/2 of an onion. I used Vidalia because that's what I had but red would work great. Add to pan and cook until onions soften (about 5 minutes). Add one bag of frozen corn and a few jalapenos diced finely. You can add more or less depending on your desired spiciness. Cover and cook until the corn is heated through stirring a few times.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Once everything is cooked through, let cool for a few minutes and then add cherry tomatoes cut into fourths. If you realize it's a bit spicier then you meant it to be, adding more tomatoes will help.

7) Has anyone tried Skinny Water? The Acai Grape Blueberry is pretty good but the Goji Berry Fruit Punch is rather nasty. I'm not sure if it's just me or if Goji Berry is something that takes a bit of getting used to.

Speaking along the veins of flavored water drinks- did you see the news about Vitaminwater? Corporations amaze me with their greed and stupidity.

1 comments:

Angela said...

I've added your new blog to my Google Reader. I'm excited about this new adventure!
I'm always looking for an excuse to throw a party, sounds like you're a girl after my own heart :)
Although...I've never been a fan of flavored water.

Post a Comment