Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ten on Tuesday, college edition


1. Where did you go to college?

Virginia Tech. Go Hokies! #6 in Pre-season polls... booyah!

2. What did you study?
Biology. With a minor in Chemistry. I also was trying to double major in Psychology but then I had a semester long meltdown and I got too behind to complete the double major without taking another year.

3. Was college really all that it was cracked up to be?
Depends. It got me away from my mother which I desperately needed. It was where I matured, figured out who I was as a person and learned necessary skills for adulthood. Like how to keep personal feelings out of the workplace. However, I also came to the conclusion that college is a really expensive way to get a piece of paper that tells people to hire you (or if they would have hired you anyway, to pay you a higher starting salary), many times for a job that has nothing to do with what you studied at all.

4. How far were you from home?
4.5 hours. There was no direct trains there and since my mom didn't drive and the Greyhound took about 18 hours to get there she could never show up unannounced. It was perfect.

5. Did you have the same roomate all four years?
Yes, the frequently mentioned Alaina. One year we tried to add two others to our housing situation and like most things we try to add others to, it did not go well.

6. Where did you order food from at 2am?
Gumbys Pizza. They gave you ranch dip to put your crusts in and made possibly the worst pizza on earth. However, it was cheap and tasted delicious when drunk or up doing the paper you procrastinated for two months and now have to write in 4 hours, which is really all that college requires.

7. Did you date in college or were you tied down?
Both, sort of. Technically I had a boyfriend for the last two years (I met a senior at the end of my sophomore year). But he lived in DC and I lived there, we saw each other maybe once every few months and I was a massive flirt and immature. Honestly, in retrospect, we probably wouldn't have been together for as long as we were if we lived in the same location.

Historically, I didn't do well when I feel neglected. I didn't cheat on people per se, I just tended to start looking around and getting affection elsewhere. (not affection in a dirty way- I just mean someone to talk to, hang out with, hold hands with, cuddle with, flirt with, that kind of stuff- just wanted to make that clear)

I grew up enough to learn to say "hey you, you are neglecting me and this relationship"or to break up with them instead of just finding someone else to fulfill my need for attention while staying with the original person for way too long. Not fair to either person.

8. Funniest drunk college moment?
I went through a phase where I would drink like half a wine cooler and dump vodka into the bottle to fill it back up (yeah, nasty- right?). Well one night I had a few of those, someone picked me up to carry me into the apartment and I kicked my ex boyfriend in the head while we were walking past him and he was exactly at foot level. It wasn't hard or assault charge worthy or anything, but it became the running joke for the rest of the time we were there. "Hey remember, that time that Kim kicked Avi in the head? Hahaha!"

Then I fell asleep on their kitchen rug.

9. Did you make it to class on time?
When I went to class, I was always on time. In my defense, in a college of my size and in some of my classes it wasn't really necessary to go to class. Some professors would just talk about their research the entire time instead of anything that would actually BE on the test. I'd teach myself the stuff from the textbook and just show up to take tests. I had one class that took attendance but he did nothing but talk about his research, so I used to do the Washington Post crossword puzzle.

I do wish I tried a lot harder in school though. That is a huge regret of mine. I was intelligent enough to get As, but I was lazy and more interested in the social aspects.

(Note to parents: This is what happens when you hold your children down with an iron fist their entire lives, never let them make any decisions for themselves nor show them one iota of respect as a person. They go completely insane at the first whiff of freedom.)

10. What was your favorite class in college?
Calculus and Analytical Chemistry (also heavily math based). Two way tie. Crazy, right? A bio major who preferred math?

I think the one thing I'll tell my kids when they are making those sort of decisions is that you don't always have to go with what you need to work really hard at to do. Go with your strengths.

Math just makes sense to me, it always has. I didn't really even have to try to get A's, once something would be explained to me once everything would click into place and I'd never forget it. That easy. Whereas in some of my other courses I could study for hours and never quite get it. I think I thought you were supposed to have to try super duper hard or you were taking the easy way out, or something.

The other issue was that at Va Tech, you apply for a particular major, so you pick your major as a senior in high school. In my high school we had a superb biology teacher, so it's not surprising that that's what I picked. By the time I realized that I actually wasn't as interested as I first thought, I had already finished the first two years, which is all major involved classes. It wasn't practical, nor financially feasible to start over with something I really wanted to do.

At liberal arts colleges, you do your core requirements first so you can kind of figure out what you are interested in before you pick a major. For someone like me, that may have been better. However, I can't imagine having gone to any other school.

Read more here.

5 comments:

Joy said...

College is for growing up. I think most of us learn as much outside the classroom as in.

Chelsea said...

Don't even get me started about getting a job that has nothing to do with your major...

Erin @ Sassin' Southern Style said...

Ha. Your #s 9 and 10 ring completely true with me. I went to college to try to get into pharmacy school and ended up not going to chemistry and biology class for what ever reason, not studying and of course, getting Ds. However, I could also do the same thing in Calculus and got As. Awesome, switched my major to math, got a math degree, got a job that actually needed a math degree, hated it and now am back RE-taking the pharmacy pre-reqs. Seriously, teenagers are idiots. Why I didn't study the first time, I'll never understand.

Great post!

Running On Fumes said...

Inneresting...
I too attended Va Tech, but I was a Music Ed major. My experience was very different from yours. I got a degree that ONLY allows me to work in the field I chose to study (which is worse, I think than getting a so-called better degree where you can be hired anywhere to do anything - hello "engineer"). Also, I spent the first two years getting all of the required general courses out of the way and then spent the last two fully immersed in my major.

Chelsea said...

PS- This week I'm using the idea you gave me on Twitter... Pictures around the house, etc.

Post a Comment