Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ten on Tuesday, Travelling edition


1. Favorite way to travel (plane, train, automobile, etc.)

Plane. I am way too impatient for the other modes.

My limit on car trips is 4.5 hours. (which coincidentally is exactly the time it takes to get from my house to Virginia Tech’s campus). Beyond that point I get fidgety, whiny and if I’m driving my leg starts cramping up.

After my last train ride, the only way I will EVER get on a train again is if I am knocked unconscious and stuffed into a duffel bag. Except for maybe a commuter train if we end up moving to Maryland or further south or west in Virginia and it’s necessary.

2. Where’s your favorite place to travel to that you’ve been to?
I haven’t been to a whole lot of places, so I’d have to say the resort we went to in Cancun for our honeymoon. It was all inclusive, everyone was very helpful, it was away from the party areas, quiet and during the off season so we didn’t have to wait for anything.

3. Where’s the place that you want to go but have never been?
Greece and Ireland.

4. Do you deal with traffic well?
No. I am not a patient person. (understatement of the year) Actually, correction- I AM a patient person with other people unless they are causing it to take more time for me to do something then I planned for. Thus the traffic issue.

In my mind I calculate the time it should take me to do all things. Drive to so and so, go to the grocery store, get something at target, pick up take out. If it takes even 5 minutes above that time smoke starts coming out of my ears, my toes start tapping, I start sighing and if it takes too long I start contemplating hitting people with my car purposely. I haven’t done it yet.

5. Ever had an emergency while traveling?
No, not by the true definition of emergency.

6. Do you have a passport? What countries have you been to?
I do, although it’s not valid. I think one of the stupidest things about waiting to get your passport until you need it for your honeymoon is that you go through all the steps to get your passport only to have it immediately become invalid because once you get back your name change paperwork goes through.

Just Mexico.

7. Are you’ve light packer or do you pack everything but the kitchen sink?
I think I fall somewhere in the middle. I make a list of everything I could possibly need and try to account for all possible situations. So I’ll have outfits for every day, but then a couple in case it gets cold suddenly, extra socks and undies just in case, an extra pair of shoes just in case I fall into a river and lose one, etc.

The limit comes because I refuse to take more than one bag anywhere. So I tend to look like a much more efficient packer on long trips then short ones. ;-)

8. Do you take the fastest route or the road less traveled?
Fastest.

9. Do any activities on the road? (like road games, reading, sleeping, etc. )
I am usually the one driving, but if I’m not I’ll never go to sleep if I’m the only passenger because I feel guilty. I usually just jabber, I could talk to a fencepost.

10. Use a paper map or GPS?
GPS now that I have an Iphone.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm laughing at "I could talk to a fencepost." Me too!

Sarah said...

Holy hell, I never thought about the passport / honeymoon connection. What a pain in the butt!

Post a Comment